Wednesday, March 16, 2011

dependence

So, independence is a big theme in our culture today right? Right. We all tend to have a "I can do it myself attitude". I am beyond guilty of this with certain situations. A lot of times I have the mindset that I can do anything by myself, with the help of no one or nothing. What is that? It's basically the worst kind of stubbornness. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with this sometimes. We value that independence in our society today. We need people in our lives to rely on and go to when we need to. We need to depend on them. And most importantly realize that we depend entirely on God for our every breath, every thought, and every move. 
Think back to Adam. God created Eve for companionship and throughout history, He has continued to interfere in the ways of personal relationships to show that we were created to be relational beings. My Mosaic Bible puts it like this, really well: "While relationship doesn't demand the sacrifice of independence, it offers the gift of meeting our inadequacies. In such moments of weakness, we realize the strength of dependence."


I love Psalm 121. I love it. I think I love it. Yeah, I love it.
It's reassuring. It's comforting. It's just one of those Psalms that make you feel good inside. Just sayin! 


1 I look up to the mountains—
      does my help come from there?
 2 My help comes from the Lord,
      who made heaven and earth!

 3 He will not let you stumble;
      the one who watches over you will not slumber.
 4 Indeed, he who watches over Israel
      never slumbers or sleeps.

 5 The Lord himself watches over you!
      The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.
 6 The sun will not harm you by day,
      nor the moon at night.

 7 The Lord keeps you from all harm
      and watches over your life.
 8 The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go,
      both now and forever.


The Mosaic is just awesome. It always introduces me to people that have influenced Christianity by writings in the past. This prayer is from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was amazing. Look him up!

I Cannot Do This Alone
O God, early in the morning I cry to you.
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you;
I cannot do this alone.


In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways,
But you know the way for me....


Restore me to liberty,
And enable me to live now
That I may answer before you and before men.
Lord, whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment