Monday, January 30, 2012

strawberry fields forever

Dubstep.
I've tried to get into it. I've tried to like it. I just can't. Can't. There is just something about it that just makes me want to quit believing in music and everything it has become in recent years. It amazes me how many people enjoy and listen to dubstep religiously. I don't understand it. Have we really resorted to music that is only made by electronic devices? I'm not arguing that it isn't music, because that can open a whole other door by saying that. What makes something music? Music is an art form, and it can be created and shaped in ways beyond our imagination. What music is, is all up to the listener, the composer, and the performer. Everyone's opinion of music can differ greatly and who are we to tell other people what music is or isn't in this life.
On the subject of the dubstep genre of music, it is a reminder of how music evolves over a period of time. Music is a big part of culture and the change that accompanies culture must also affect the music of that generation as well. I think dubstep does a good job of really conforming to its fans' wants though. I mean really think about it. What do teenagers/young adults listen to most of the time? Top 40 songs. What do the majority of the Top 40 songs in the country right now feature in them? Dubstep characteristics. It can all go back to timeless idea of putting out the music that will sell, not necessarily good music to put out, but SELL. Now, dubstep is in a lot of songs on the radio right now, but then there are artists that are strictly dubstep and they market their music to the devoted fans of this genre, but considering that the most popular songs out right now can relate to dubstep, does that broaden the group to who they can share their music with? Yes, it does. Dubstep frustrates me.

I only want music to be as simple, yet complicating, and completely brilliant as it was in the time of the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, or other classic, influencing artists that changed the way music is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment