Thursday, July 8, 2010

that's rad

I just started reading Radical, by David Platt and I can already tell that it's going to be a GREAT book! I read slow of course, so I'm not that much into it, but I've read a good chunk so far. David Platt is awesome, if you haven't heard about him. He's pastor at the Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham and has a passion for a ministry in disciple making. He is already challenging me in this book and I've only read almost 40 pages.
So far, it's talking about how we ought to be following Christ. We have to literally sacrifice everything if we're willing to be a disciple. He gave some biblical examples of people who had to sacrifice things in their life, that they weren't prepared for in order to be His disciple. It was a big wake up call for sure!
I went to College Connection tonight, which is a college bible study/praise and worship for students in the Wiregrass, every Thursday night. It was pretty great! The only thing that makes me sad about Bethlehem is that we don't have a college ministry, probably because there just aren't enough students for it. Being a part of the CC tonight was a good experience. I haven't been around alot of college kids like that in a while. It was fabulous. Funny thing is that I knew most of the people there already, because of WIRED. About 75% of the students there were tract leaders last week. Good stuff!
We discussed prayer and whether or not we were taught how to pray right, or use it the right way. Sometimes we pray, just wrong. We focus on ourselves too much and not on others in our prayer and then pray for stuff that we know that God won't give us, because we don't need it. Prayer has certainly been a thing that I've been struggling with lately, whether it be in front of people or by myself. I catch myself really just uttering words, without truly meaning them, and that's not a real conversation with God. Putting aside quiet time everyday for focused prayer is something I'm working on as we speak. It's not an option, so I need to stop making it last in my things to do for the day. I need to not feel obligated to do it, but something that I get to do.
Mobile this weekend. I'm pretty stoked! I get to see some of my friends and have some quality time with my mama! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment