Friday, July 30, 2010

adieu, adieu

So, I just had to write a farewell column for the Voice. Here it is! :)


May 17th, 12:30 p.m.-my first, official day working at the Headland Voice. I will be honest in saying that I was more nervous than a kid on her first day of Kindergarten. I had a good idea of what to expect, but then again, there were other parts of this job, as feature writer that I did not.
Starting out at South Alabama last fall, I was majoring in biomedical sciences, and then planned on going to optometry school, to become an optometrist. Halfway into my first semester of college, I decided that this plan wasn’t for me.
Majoring in journalism, while in college, had always been at the back of my mind, but I never really had thought of pursuing it. I decided to go for it and change my major to communication, with a concentration in print journalism. After, it was officially changed, I knew then, that this was what I was supposed to do from the very beginning. As much as I knew that this was the major for me, I hardly knew anything about writing in newspapers at all. I have always loved to write all my life, but I had no idea about the logistics of doing it in a newspaper.
What could be better than working at my own hometown’s newspaper for a whole summer to get experience in this field? The answer is nothing. The convenience of being at home with my family, having a job, and learning more about what the career I want to pursue are the ingredients to a productive and good summer.
If you know me, you will surely know that I am not the loudest person on the planet, and I am also a little bit shy in some ways. Through writing for the Voice though, I have definitely became more outgoing in more ways than one. With the interviews, phone calls, and such that I have done with the people in this community, I have not only become more accustomed to interacting with people, I have also grown even more attached to Headland and all of its people. The relationships that I have built with the people in this town through this experience will be lifelong.
Working at the Voice this summer, has been one of the best experiences for me. Learning a lot of the aspects of a newspaper has helped me greatly. I already knew that I for sure wanted to go into a career of journalism, but these last two and a half months have ensured my plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment